Today I’m sharing a unique, but scrumptious dessert that is perfect for any summer event. It’s light, sweet, and crispy and we call them Lemon Clouds.
I’m a big fan of lemon meringue pies. This dessert is like an upside down lemon meringue pie. The meringue is the base and simply melts in your mouth. If you are looking for a special touch to end a good dinner look no further. This would be perfect.
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- Lemon Curd
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbl. butter, softened
- 2 egg yokes, remaining from clouds
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbl. lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt on high speed until frothy. Add 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks are formed. Turn beater down to lowest speed and add vanilla and remaining sugar. Beat until combined. Scoop enough mixture to make a four inch cloud onto the parchment paper lined cookie sheet. You should have enough to make six clouds. Using a small spoon form a bowl shape in the middle of each cloud. Bake for 2 hours. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Zest your lemon using a lemon zester or grater. Cut lemon in half and juice each side. In a quart size saucepan combine sugar and zest. Mix well to combine. Add butter and cream together with a mixer. Add egg yokes, whole egg, lemon juice, and salt. On a low temperature heat the mixture until thickened, approximately 10 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and cool. Mixture will continue to thicken when cooling.
- To serve: Place a crispy cloud on a small plate. Place a tablespoon of lemon curd into the center of the cloud. Top with strawberries or other fruit. Enjoy!
Check out these other lemon ideas on our blog.