Every year I like to give a little something to someone less fortunate. Usually it’s a child from an Angel Tree or a toy given to someone collecting for a homeless shelter or group. This year I wanted to do a little more. I’ve put a little more thought into things and have found some awesome opportunities. I’m sure all of you do this already, but for those who are looking for opportunities I thought I would share my list to inspire you. I won’t do all of them but these are the things I’ve researched.
One important thing to mention is that giving back doesn’t have to include money or spending. Time is a huge gift.
- Many people use this time of year to clean out their closets or their toy chests and donate what they don’t use any more.
- Give your time and energies to a homeless shelter, food pantry, or soup kitchen.
- Give non-perishable food and your time to the Food Pantry.
- Blankets, coats, boots, hats, and mittens are always needed by the homeless. Walk around your city and find those less fortunate and give them a gift and a “Merry Christmas”.
- Spending time caroling with your friends and family at your local hospital or nursing home.
- Support and give to our troops through the USO.
- Pay for someone’s lunch anonymously.
- Twelve Days Of Christmas – Give a treat or gift twelve days in a row to a family in need. We have done this as a family and had a great time.
- Shop local.
- Bake cookies and treats for your local police, EMT’s, and Firemen.
- Donate to a cause of your choice.
There are numerous ways to give. Would love to hear about what you’re doing.
A few nights ago Brittany and I had the incredible experience of attending the Bright Night Event where we were able to bring items for needy women. It was amazing to get together with women to mingle and share some of our favorite things with others. It sure increased my Christmas spirit.
We even got to take something home for ourselves. We were given these little bowls and some vinyl to decorate them with. We also got to take home some prints to frame and add to our Christmas decor. (I wish the pillows could have come home with me, too.)
I HOPE WE ALL TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE BACK DURING THE HOLIDAYS. WE WILL BE BLESSED BEYOND MEASURE FOR OUR EFFORTS.
Polkadot Poplars will be giving away some of our favorite things to you, our readers, in the next few weeks. Stay on the look out.